2 FUTURISTS, 40 DAYS, NO TRASH.

Some of you may remember us from our 2006 Dumpster Diving initiative (ecologicaldesign.blogspot.com), in which we dedicated a couple of months to nourishing ourselves almost exclusively with "rescued edibles." Well, Jesse and Aaron are at it again, but this time we've shifted the focus. Instead of extracting the outputs, we've moved up the conveyor belt of waste to focus on minimizing the inputs. Waste, after all, is an entirely human concept...




Friday, February 8

What About Parties?

The first two days of the trashless period went off without a hitch. Quite honestly, I had hoped there would be a little more strain involved (the knowing angel on my right shoulder is telling me to be careful what I wish for here...)

It's not until leaving the daily routine - my own realm of control - that it gets a little more difficult, and I had my first taste of it last night. I went to a celebration of the Tibetan New Year, bringing a (trashless) growler of beer from the local brewery as my contribution to the party. (The bottle can be returned - cap and all - to the brewer for reuse; unlike most bottles of wine, there are no nit-picky pieces (like foil) that need to be thrown away.)

The party was a lively event with food, drink, music, dancing, and fun.

Music, dancing, and fun? No problem. Food and drink? Not necessarily a problem... until you consider all the disposable plates, cups, and utensils used to partake in them. I enjoyed a few traditional treats that could be eaten as finger food, and luckily I had a coffee cup with me that I used for drinks.

It did remind me, though, that sometimes there's some sensitivity required in balancing an effort like The Trash Project with general rules of social grace.

This was a large gathering of people and it felt appropriate to use my own mug, and also to opt out of most of the food. But what will I do in a situation where it feels rude or insensitive to bring my own utensils into somebody else's home, or to turn something down that's offered by a host?

No comments: