2 FUTURISTS, 40 DAYS, NO TRASH.

Some of you may remember us from our 2006 Dumpster Diving initiative (ecologicaldesign.blogspot.com), in which we dedicated a couple of months to nourishing ourselves almost exclusively with "rescued edibles." Well, Jesse and Aaron are at it again, but this time we've shifted the focus. Instead of extracting the outputs, we've moved up the conveyor belt of waste to focus on minimizing the inputs. Waste, after all, is an entirely human concept...




Monday, February 4

TRASH Wednesday

Today is the day the trashless period begins, and I'm ready to rock and roll.

Compost?
Check!




Reusable Containers?

Check, check, and check!


But what to do with all those products I use that don't fit the trashless paradigm? I've spent the last few days collecting these things, and thinking of alternatives. As of today, these things will be put in the vault.



Will I miss them? Not at all.

Let me tell you about some trashless alternatives, each conforming to at least one of the Key Principles for a trashless existence (see sidebar).

DENTAL FLOSS
The problem: Even though this brand of dental floss is burnable (natural fibers covered in wax), floss doesn't have any fire-starting value. And anyway, the cap on the inside of the lid (that thingy that dispenses and cuts the floss) is not recyclable, nor is the outer packaging that this already-packaged product usually comes in.
Alternative: The toothpick on my handy-dandy pocket knife!
Principle 1: Durable, Reusable Goods.

FACEWASH
The problem: This kind of tube (also typical of sunscreens, lotions, and other soaps) may be recyclable, but the lids are not. They're also not easily refillable.
The alternative: Use a refillable container and get your soaps, detergents, shampoos, conditioners, and lotions in bulk. (You don't see my shampoo bottle in this pile is because I've been reusing the same one for over a year already!) As for solid soaps and shampoos, there are plenty of package-free varieties out there, just check your local natural foods store.
Principles 2 & 3: Packaging-Free Products; Reusable Containers

DEODORANT
The problem: This packaging is not recyclable, and I'm not nearly creative enough to think of a legitimate alternative use for an empty deodorant cannister.
The alternative: I found one brand that comes in a non-aerosol spray bottle, with no other packaging at all. These spray bottles are quite nifty, and can be re-filled and used to spray any kind of liquid long after the original product is gone.
Principle 3: Reusable Containers.

LIGHTERS
The problem: Here in woodstove land (western Massachusetts), we light lots of fires in the winter time. Too bad lighters are nothing but trash, and filled with toxic fluid to boot.
The alternative: Good-ole trusty matches. Just light the fire and throw it in!
Principle 5: Burnable Products and Packaging.

TOOTHPASTE
The problem: I've never seen a toothpaste cannister that's recyclable or reusable in any way. Good thing my fourth grade science teacher taught me that toothpaste is entirely superfluous anyway. Though toothpaste leaves you minty fresh, it's the brushing that does the work.
The alternative: Pure, simple baking soda. Not only is it a great natural breath freshener and tooth whitener, it's cheap, it goes a long way, and the box is entirely recyclable or burnable. I'll let you know how long it takes to get used to the taste...
Principle 6: Simpler Alternative

BASIC FIRST AID
The problem: I certainly didn't imagine an upside to cutting the crap out of my thumb on a can opener last week, but the bloodbath turned out to be a blessing in disguise because without it, I would never have considered trash-free alternatives to first aid supplies. I hope you never have a reason to use these things, but the truth is, it's a good idea to keep first aid supplies around. With traditional adhesive bandages, even if the wrapper is just paper, the bandage itself is landfill bound. Ointments also generally come in those trashy plastic tubes.
The alternative: Gauze pads are burnable and compostable, and they typically come wrapped in paper with no other packaging besides a recyclable, burnable cardboard box. I stocked up in case I decide to cut the other thumb anytime soon. I also found some nifty reusable cling-tie stuff to fasten gauze with. As far as cleaning wounds, my trusty housemates (who happen to be students of Tibetan medicine) taught me that the best way is to soak them in a cup of lukewarm salt water for about ten minutes before re-dressing. This draws out the toxins, and to my surprise, doesn't hurt one bit! (I also found some soothing ointment at the natural foods store that comes in a reusable tin without other packaging.)
Principles 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6: Durable, Reusable Goods (cling-tie) Reusable Containers (ointment); Biodegradable Products (gauze); Burnable Products and Packaging (gauze and packaging); Simpler Alternatives (salt wash).

AEROSOL CANS
The problem: everything.
The alternative: I can't think of a single thing that I really need that comes in an aerosol can. This product of "occasional use" for me will become a product of "zero use!"
Principle 7: Deprivation!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

as for the aerosol can deodorant, if deodorant is a must have, you could just get one of those "deodorant rocks" they sell them at health food type establishments, i've seen some that come in a little paper wrap or even a little velvet bag. and once it's gone, there is nothing to dispose of. cheers on your project, you've got me thinkin too!

Anonymous said...

Seriously....the toothpick on the end of your pocket knife?...I hope you plan on using those trusty matches to desanitize that! :) And baking soda?! Wow! I would give you an alternative suggestion, however, I am a wasteful person, and am sad to say, I love the luxury! (I do love the bandaid alternative though!) :) Good luck!