2 FUTURISTS, 40 DAYS, NO TRASH.

Some of you may remember us from our 2006 Dumpster Diving initiative (ecologicaldesign.blogspot.com), in which we dedicated a couple of months to nourishing ourselves almost exclusively with "rescued edibles." Well, Jesse and Aaron are at it again, but this time we've shifted the focus. Instead of extracting the outputs, we've moved up the conveyor belt of waste to focus on minimizing the inputs. Waste, after all, is an entirely human concept...




Tuesday, February 12

Gettin' Saucy

I decided to play by Aaron's rules and count recycling as trash. Between hygienic seals and lids, it's almost impossible to find a "recyclable" container that doesn't leave you with some form of trash anyway. The one exception to this is tin cans, but I kinda figured I could live without those, too.

It wasn't until I opened a cookbook that I realized how limiting the no-tin-can thing could be. I had already figured out meat's out of the question, and dairy products are pretty hard to find without trash also. But without tin cans, most recipes get eliminated. It's hard to find even a basic soup recipe that doesn't require either veggie stock, canned tomatoes, or beans, all of which I usually get in tin cans.


My mission for the weekend became clear: to cut out yet one more middle-person in the soil-to-consumer food chain and make my own basics from scratch - there are tons of recipes online. Veggie stock and tomatoes turned out to be surprisingly quick and easy. Beans are certainly easy, too, but they have to soak overnight before going in the pot. The biggest bonus is that all of these goodies turned out tastier than anything I could have found in a can, and filled the house with an amazing aroma.

Stay tuned for more tales of forced creativity...

No comments: